All Interest Group Members must be current financial members of Wellington City U3A
Anyone interested in leading/forming a New Group please contact Ian or Margaret Garrett email@example.com
This group meets on the third Thursday of the month at 10 am at Gaynor Stewart’s home on The Terrace. Contact: Doug Helps, 232-4881 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Art History Group
Meets on alternate Thursdays from 10.30 am to 12 noon St Ninians Church, Karori. Contact: Anne Lee, 970-8644 or email@example.com
Book Group 1
Meets on the 1st Wed. of each month at the Johnsonville Community Centre meeting rooms at 10 am. Contact: Elizabeth Moles 387-9293 or firstname.lastname@example.org Currently there are no vacancies.
Book Group 2
Meets on the first Thursday of each month at 10 am – 12 noon at members’ homes. The members are mainly from the Northern and Western suburbs and currently there are three vacancies. Contact: Sheila Williams 479-2226 or email@example.com
Book Group 3
Meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 2.00 pm in Oriental Bay. This group is currently full. Contact Pamela if you wish to go on the waiting list or to start another group in the Eastern suburbs. Contact: Pamela Jefferies, 801-6620 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month at 10.00 am, at Burma Lounge, Malvina Major Village, 134 Burma Road, Johnsonville. Contact: Michael Hodgen, 478 6303 or email@example.com
Meets on the third Saturday of the month (daytime) at the Penthouse, Lighthouse Cuba or Lighthouse Petone cinemas, with the film followed by a discussion at a café. New members welcome. For films at the Lighthouse Petone some car-pooling may be required. Contact: Colleen McClymont 027 5277202 or Bob McClymont, 027 5277203 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mid-Week Film Group
Meets on second Tuesday and last Wednesday of the month usually at the, Embassy, Reading or Cuba Lighthouse cinemas. Contacts: For Tuesday films – Suzanne Blumhardt, 384-7046 or email@example.com For Wednesday films – Aidan Kay 021 0282 2082 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This friendly group will meet at 10.30 am on the second and fourth Mondays of the month in members’ homes. New members welcome. Contact: Diana Barnes, 479-2947 or email@example.com
Social Walking Groups – Wellington City U3A Members Only
Group One AKA the coffee group that walks or the walk and talk group. Meets at Karaka Cafe (beside the Wharewaka on the waterfront) leaving there at 9.30 am every Monday morning. (excluding Public Holidays). All U3A members welcome no need to call – just turn up. We explore historic, nature and cultural places around the city, finishing between 11am – 12 noon with coffee and a chat. Contact: Heather 021 1582816
Group Two Longer walks (Monday mornings 9.30 am to 12 noon approx.), around and about Wellington during U3A terms. Walks end at a café for coffee. Transport is usually based around Gold Card times. Carpooling when necessary. New members welcome. Contact: Jeannie Buxton 472-3456 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Meets on alternate Thursdays from 10 am until 12 noon (excepting school holidays) at St Ninians Church, Karori. New members welcome. Contact: Barbara Hammond, 476-7300 or email@example.com
Meets in the Common Room of St Andrews on the Terrace at 2 pm on the first and third Mondays of the month. We will also be looking at how the writing of the great philosophers are relevant today. We look forward to new members joining us. Contact: Diana Winn firstname.lastname@example.org or Dougal Congalton 476-8498 email@example.com
Performing Music Group
New members welcome. Contact: Jennifer Timmings, 479-5325 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Meets on alternate Wednesdays at 10.30 am until 12 noon. Numbers are limited to 10. Contact: Laurie Atkinson, 568-5883 or email@example.com
This group has now disbanded. Anyone interested in leading/forming a new Writing Group please contact Ian or Margaret Garrett firstname.lastname@example.org
Members are encouraged to start new interest groups. If anyone has an interest or expertise in a particular area/topic, they could form a new interest group. If you would like information about how you would go about forming a group please contact Ian or Margaret Garrett. email@example.com 384 9190. Below are some groups that other U3A’s currently have running.
- FOR THE LOVE OF PLANTS – Exploring the diverse world of plants and gardens.
- MARX AND REVOLUTIONARY HISTORY – The philosophy of Karl Marx in the context of the Russian revolutionary tradition, the revolution of 1917 and later neo-Marxism.
- CRYPTIC CROSSWORD – Provides help with conquering the mysteries of cryptic crosswords in a sociable environment, and solving the challenges of really hard crosswords.
- FRENCH FILMS – Brush up on your French, join others watching French DVD’s with French sous-titres.
- RECORDING AND BROADCASTING – A group for people interested in the design and preparation of recorded material. This could be for radio broadcast, oral history, family communication, music, drama.
- HISTORIC RAIL TRAVEL – Re-live and enjoy the early days of steam and modern train trips in Britain, Europe and New Zealand. DVD’s and discussion.
- NEW ZEALAND HISTORY – Discuss interesting and sometimes controversial topics in New Zealand social and political history. Some invited speakers.
- POETRY – Explore the world of poetry: ancient or modern, far or near, familiar or strange. Look at themes, periods, genres.
- SCIENCE FOR ALL – A wish to better understand how science works.
- TRAVEL – Share your travel stories and photos.
- OPERA – Members enjoy DVD presentations of operas as well as documentaries.
- ASTRONOMY – Exploring the vast expanse, beauty and the mystery of our universe.