This group meets on the third Thursday of the month at 10 am at Gaynor Stewart’s home on The Terrace.
Contact: Doug Helps, 232 4881 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Art History Group
Meets on alternate Thursdays from 10.30 am to 12 noon St Ninians Church, Karori.
Contact: Anne Lee, 970 8644 or email@example.com
Book Group 1
Meets on the 1st Wed. of each month at the Johnsonville Community Centre meeting rooms at 10 am. Currently there are no vacancies.
Contact: Ineke Dijkstra, 04 569 3229 or 021 119 1016 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Book Group 2
Meets on the first Thursday of each month at 10 am – 12 noon at members’ homes. There are no vacancies at present.
Contact: Sheila Williams 479 2226 or email@example.com
Book Group 3
Meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 2.00 pm in Oriental Bay. This group is currently full. Contact Pamela if you wish to go on the waiting list or to start another group in the Eastern suburbs.
Contact: Pamela Jefferies, 801 6620 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month at 10.00 am.
Contact: Michael Hodgen, (04) 478 6303 or email@example.com
Meets on the second Saturday of the month at the Penthouse (daytime), with the film followed by a discussion at a café. New members welcome.
Contact: Colleen (027 527 7202) and Bob McClymont (027 527 7203), or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mid-Week Film Group
Meets on the second Tuesday and last Wednesday of the month, usually at the Paramount, Embassy or Cuba Lighthouse cinemas.
Contacts: Suzanne Blumhardt, 384 7046 or email@example.com (Tuesday)
Aidan Kay, 021 0282282 or firstname.lastname@example.org (Wednesday)
Meets on alternate Mondays from 10 am in members’ homes. New members welcome.
Contact: Diana Barnes, 479 2947 or email@example.com
Social Walking Groups – Wellington City U3A Members Only
Group One Small social walks meeting at Karaka Café (beside the Wharewaka on the waterfront) at 9.30 am every Monday morning (excluding public holidays). No need to call – just turn up – finishing by 11.00/11.30 with a coffee.
Contact: Heather 021 1582816
Group Two Longer walks (Monday mornings 9,30am to 12 noon approx.) around and about Wellington during U3A terms. Walks end at a café for coffee. Transport is usually based around Gold Card times. Car pooling when necessary. New members welcome.
Contact: Jeannie Buxton, 022 472 3455 or 04 472 3456 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Meets on alternate Thursdays from 10 am until 12 noon (excepting school holidays) at St Ninians Church, Karori. New members welcome.
Contact: Barbara Hammond, 476 7300 or email@example.com
Performing Music Group
New members welcome.
Contact: Jennifer Timmings, 479 5325 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Meets in the Common Room of St Andrews on the Terrace at 2pm on the first and third Mondays of the month. We will again have the insights of Cei Maslin from Victoria University from time to time, and will also be looking at how the writing of the great philosophers are relevant today. We look forward to new members joining us for 2017
Contact: Diana Winn – email@example.com
Meets on alternate Wednesdays at 10.30 am until 12 noon. Numbers are limited to 10.
Contact: Laurie Atkinson, 568 5883 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This group is aimed at those wanting to write their memoirs. The group is currently full, please contact John if you wish to go on the waiting list.
Contact: John Bonallack, 971 8531 or email@example.com
Members are encouraged to start new interest groups. If anyone has an interest or expertise in a particular area/topic, they could form a new interest group. If you would like information about how you would go about forming a group please contact Ian or Margaret Garrett. firstname.lastname@example.org 384 9190. Below are some groups that other U3A’s currently have running.
- FOR THE LOVE OF PLANTS – Exploring the diverse world of plants and gardens.
- MARX AND REVOLUTIONARY HISTORY – The philosophy of Karl Marx in the context of the Russian revolutionary tradition, the revolution of 1917 and later neo-Marxism.
- CRYPTIC CROSSWORD – Provides help with conquering the mysteries of cryptic crosswords in a sociable environment, and solving the challenges of really hard crosswords.
- FRENCH FILMS – Brush up on your French, join others watching French DVD’s with French sous-titres.
- RECORDING AND BROADCASTING – A group for people interested in the design and preparation of recorded material. This could be for radio broadcast, oral history, family communication, music, drama.
- HISTORIC RAIL TRAVEL – Re-live and enjoy the early days of steam and modern train trips in Britain, Europe and New Zealand. DVD’s and discussion.
- NEW ZEALAND HISTORY – Discuss interesting and sometimes controversial topics in New Zealand social and political history. Some invited speakers.
- POETRY – Explore the world of poetry: ancient or modern, far or near, familiar or strange. Look at themes, periods, genres.
- SCIENCE FOR ALL – A wish to better understand how science works.
- TRAVEL – Share your travel stories and photos.
- OPERA – Members enjoy DVD presentations of operas as well as documentaries.
- ASTRONOMY – Exploring the vast expanse, beauty and the mystery of our universe.