U3A OCTOBER EVENT
Wellington Heritage Week
Historic Places Wellington is organising Wellington City Heritage Week 23-29 October featuring over 20 events that discover and celebrate Wellington’s stories, places, and people.
Exhibitions, open properties, walking tours, public talks, and films with a variety of themes offer something for everyone. Highlight events are:
- St Gerard’s Monastery Toursand Open Day invites the public into the iconic building to see the sweeping views over the harbour and its beautiful stained glass windows. The residents of the building will also provide insight into what it takes to live in and care for the building. Tours: Tuesday 24th 11am & 2pm; Open Day: Saturday 10am-4pm at 75 Hawker St, Mt Vic. Free Entry. Booking required for Tuesday Tours.
- Hometown Boomtownfilm showcase documents the dramatic building and demolition boom in the 70s and 80s. Watch how the Thorndon motorway cut through a suburb and the battle for the city’s old identity. Thursday 26th 7pm; Saturday 28th 4:30pm at Nga Taonga Sound & Vision Cnr Taranaki and Ghuznee St. $10 Entry. Booking Required.
- Wellington Women of World War One features award winning author Jane Tolerton discussing Wellington women serving as doctors, ambulance drivers, nurses, land girls and members of the British women’s services among other roles. Sunday 29th at 123 Pire St, Mt Vic. Free. Booking required.
- New Zealand Cricket Museum and Basin Reserve Toursallows visitors to take in the view from the media and player facilities, visit the iconic scoreboard, sit in the player’s dressing room, and explore the game’s history behind-the-scenes at the Museum. Saturday 28th 10am & 2pm at NZ Cricket Museum, Basin Reserve. $20 Entry. Booking required.
- Pukeahu Historic Toursby The Great War Exhibition discovers the layers of history below our central city park. Understand how it transformed from a site of Maori occupation, to a military barracks, and now a site of national remembrance. Daily 123-29th 11am. Free and receive a complementary $10 guided tour of the Great War Exhibition ($15 admission to the exhibition still applies. Book Required.
Tickets and bookings are on sale now at www.wellingtoncityheritageweek.co.nz.
Historic Places Wellington is a community organisation of volunteers who advocate for historic places in the Wellington Region. Join us at www.historicplaceswellington.org